Re: EPEL support in "master" branch (aka speeding up Fedora development)

On Sat, 2018-01-20 at 13:52 +0100, Fabio Valentini wrote:
> I find it hard to track changes to the Packaging Guidelines, and when those
> changes are made, they sometimes only apply to certain branches (or only to
> rawhide), and it's no longer clear which Guidelines apply to other branches.

Few folks proposed to switch guidelines to git[0]. I think if we would have
el6/el7/f26/f27/master branches of guidelines, that would help with this.

[0] https://pagure.io/packaging-committee/issue/727

> It would be really useful to have a wiki page outlining where the
> Guidelines for stable branches are different to the most recent version of
> the Packaging Guidelines (if such a page already exists, please ignore this
> and point me to it).

I think Jason Tibbs said somewhere that packaging guidelines are targeting only
rawhide. But I'm not sure if there is sentence written somewhere.

> With this information as an authoritative source (current Guidelines for
> rawhide branch, and exceptions/adaptations for other branches and EPEL), we
> could start pointing out where .spec files (regardless of the branch) don't
> comply (anymore) with the applicable "version" of the Guidelines, and start
> to remove conditionals where they can be removed, and to report / fix
> issues - with little to no room for differences in "taste" or
> "interpretation".

Hmm, we could start versioning guidelines and ask people writing in first line
of spec which guidelines they were complying to. And probably some lints in
fedora-review for this...

I don't this is possible to do in short period of time, but might be good idea
for far future.

> Conditionals for current fedora releases aside, checks for releases that
> have reached EOL should be cleaned up as soon as possible anyway (I still
> find .spec files referencing fedora 21 or earlier sometimes) ...

A lot of Python packages reference F>=12.

> TL;DR:
> We need an authoritative source that tells us packagers which Guidelines
> apply to which branch (or what has to be done differently - or can be done
> better - in, for example, f26 when compared to the current Packaging
> Guidelines).
> With this information, we can start cleaning up unneccessary or outdated
> conditionals in .spec files, and can probably remove all conditionals
> (depending on %{?fedora}) altogether - since IMO the maintenance burden and
> error-prone-ness of "compatibility" between branches is way greater than
> the benefit of being able to "merge" (caveat changelogs, Release tags,
> other changes) from newer to older releases.
> This will, over time (as changes to rawhide trickle down into what will
> become fedora 28/29 and fedora 29/30), lead to much simpler, less
> error-prone, and more easily maintainable .spec files (which benefits
> maintainers, co-maintainers, provenpackagers, and users).
> Independently, I think conditionals for releases older than N-2
> (currently: 24 and earlier) should be removed either way, and checks for
> fedora < N-1 should be removed after the corresponding release reaches EOL.

Fully agree with what you are saying here!
- --
- -Igor Gnatenko