Re: EPEL support in "master" branch (aka speeding up Fedora development)

On Sat, 2018-01-20 at 06:58 -0600, Richard Shaw wrote:
> On Sat, Jan 20, 2018 at 5:27 AM, Igor Gnatenko <
> ignatenkobrain@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>

> > * File-triggers are not supported by el6/el7 RPM, so every package which
> > has
> > icons should have some number of scriptlets conditionalized  by %if
> > 0%{?rhel}
> > && 0%{?rhel} <= 7.
> >

> Could this be easily fixed by adding macros to EL that would only run when
> appropriate? Staying with your earlier example:
>
> %post
> %{?epel_update_gtk_icon_cache}
>

> > * Rich dependencies are not supported by el6/el7 RPM and YUM, so anyone who
> > wants to use them need to have same conditionals.
> >

> This can get messy when there are a lot of them, most in my experience with
> at least end user apps, you rarely need them so the occasional:
>
> %if 0%{?fedora}
> Recommends: ...
> %else
> Requires: ...
> %endif
>
> does not hurt readability much.

You see, I'm pointed out to this at least 3 times in different thread, this
conditionals are wrong 😉

%if 0%{?rhel} && 0%{?rhel} <= 7
Requires: ...
%else
Recommends: ...
%endif

Because if you use your condition, at some point RHEL N+1 will be branched and
maintainers of that will have to go through each spec and fix it. This is what
is happening now with Python packages.

> WIth large libraries that are already complicated that's more difficult,
> but in that case major updates are discouraged within a release and all but
> banned in EL so there's not much need or advantage to keeping the specs in
> sync.

But people keep doing that.

What I'm trying to say here is that each time we want to implement some feature
in Fedora, we either need to have some replacement in EPEL or diverge Fedora
branches from EPEL branches. Having replacement is not always possible,
especially if we start utilizing new (actually 8 years old) features of RPM.
- --
- -Igor Gnatenko