Re: EPEL support in "master" branch (aka speeding up Fedora development)

On 21 January 2018 at 15:07, Tomasz Kłoczko <kloczko.tomasz@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On 21 January 2018 at 17:26, Stephen John Smoogen <smooge@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>>
>> On 20 January 2018 at 21:00, Tomasz Kłoczko <kloczko.tomasz@xxxxxxxxx>
>> wrote:
>> > On 20 January 2018 at 23:26, Stephen John Smoogen <smooge@xxxxxxxxx>
>> > wrote:
>> > [..]

>> > Can you tell which one EPEL packages you are using?
>>

>> There isn't one EPEL package I use. I help run the group and I 'use'
>> the packages that are in it for the Fedora Infrastructure to run. That
>> goes from everything from stuff on EL6 for the ask.fedoraproject.org
>> to EL7 for most other things.
>

> So (quoting you) "As EPEL is the only reason I stay in Fedora" you want to
> say that you are you are not interested at all Fedora but only some EL6/EPEL
> packages.
> Is that correct?

No that is not correct. I expect I am relying on a figure of speech
which does not translate well. I work in Fedora to make packages work
in EPEL because the people using EPEL are the ones I am interested in
serving. However, I realize that EPEL can cause problems for some
features and want to look for ways to make that less painful for the
organization as a whole.

> If it is common in case of EL7/EL6 EPEL packages consumers it is perfect
> reason to not bother EPEL on master branch because Fedora has noting out
> from such end users and keeping all EL6/EL7 adjustments are only slowing
> down Fedora development by making specs less readable.

I expect that you would find that even if EPEL were to go away, those
would stay there because a large number of developers want them there
for other needs. They will cargo cult what they had for many releases
because they know it works and whatever new method is going to cause
problems they don't have time to deal with. Trying to force them to do
this has never worked and constantly causes fights because no one is
listening to each other anymore.  What does happen is people having
spectacular flame-outs with epic temper tantrums before leaving in
disgust. I am trying to not have this happen by pointing out what does
work.

What does seem to work is showing them and training them that some new
method will help and then figure out what they were really trying to
solve with the 'magic script' they had before. Taking the time to
answer what may seem like stupid questions over and over again as they
unlearn what they were doing before.

> kloczek
> --
> Tomasz Kłoczko | LinkedIn: http://lnkd.in/FXPWxH