Re: Please stop re-adding gtk-update-icon-cache scriptlets (for Fedora)

On Sat, 2018-01-20 at 00:39 +0000, Sérgio Basto wrote:
> On Fri, 2018-01-19 at 18:37 +0100, Igor Gnatenko wrote:
> > On Fri, 2018-01-19 at 11:22 -0600, Richard Shaw wrote:

> > > I prefer the "one spec to rule them all" but only for Fedora and
> > > EL, not
> > > outside distros. It makes life easier for me, however with
> > > arbitrary
> > > branching I wouldn't have to sync changes across branches near as
> > > much. If
> > > the path of least resistance is the "right" way then it's easier to
> > > convince people to do it that way.
> >
> > Imagine that you have some app which install "info", "icons",
> > "systemd service"
> > and uses openssl 1.0 (not compatible with openssl 1.1).
> >
> > In this case, it adds at least 80+ lines to your spec to keep all
> > this compat
> > cruft and just makes it unreadable.
>
> But I just want that, one spec that rules everywhere at least until
> EPEL6, EPEL6 EOL is November 30, 2020, more 3 years.
> Now that I'm trying build some packages on EPEL6, I have to support
> sysv etc .
> In conclusion:
> I'd like have guidelines for pack EPEL and Fedora at same spec, for
> example Recomends vs Requires , EPEL 7 doesn't not accept Recomends: so
> what we should do ? [1] is good ?
>
> [1] %{?fedora:Recommends:  xmltv}

Definitely not. Because what a surprise that next RHEL version will be branched
out of some Fedora version (as it used to be this way for many years). And this
basically means that either it will not get there (I mean Recommends) or
someone will have to fix it. Why to create additional work?

%if 0%{?rhel} && 0%{?rhel} <= 7
Requires: xmltv
%else
Recommends: xmltv
%endif

or..

%if ! (0%{?rhel} & 0%{?rhel} <= 7)
Recommends: xmltv
%endif

> I'd like (if you don't do it already) that we look around and scriplets
> or macros, be compatible with other OSes (that use rpm packaging) like
> opensuse or mageia, in other day I saw macros for python very
> interesting in opensuse. i.e. the rpm rules be more wide open, alsocould
> benefit us .

Unfortunately we don't look into other distributions, but often just create
something new here. Again, the problem is compatibility -- even if we can make
it shiny in Fedora, people would resist because it would be incompatible with
RHEL.
- --
- -Igor Gnatenko