Re: Please stop re-adding gtk-update-icon-cache scriptlets (for Fedora)

On Fri, Jan 19, 2018 at 12:22 PM, Richard Shaw <hobbes1069@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Fri, Jan 19, 2018 at 11:15 AM, Igor Gnatenko
> <ignatenkobrain@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>>
>> I think real problem here is that people want same spec to build
>> everywhere.
>> And we are not able to teach people to not do this. Only way how we can
>> teach
>> them is to make it impossible (e.g. deny push if there are such %ifs or
>> like
>> that).
>

> I prefer the "one spec to rule them all" but only for Fedora and EL, not
> outside distros. It makes life easier for me, however with arbitrary
> branching I wouldn't have to sync changes across branches near as much. If
> the path of least resistance is the "right" way then it's easier to convince
> people to do it that way.

All of my personal spec files work for multiple distribution families.
As long as I'm not adding Debian or old CentOS/SLE to the mix, it's
usually not that bad. Ironically, Fedora is the laggard in most cases
because we tend to enforce RHEL's inability to use new features to
prevent improvements.

Mageia and SUSE are much better than we are at adopting new features.
This is partly because they historically developed the new features,
but also because their communities are smaller and their workflows
make it much easier to maintain the separation.

For example, SUSE's OBS is an integrated VCS+buildsys, so each
"project" (which is source+builds+repos) is completely separate and
maintains their own history.

Mageia uses SVN with autogenerating changelog, so the deltas aren't as
bad. And branches are literally separate copies of everything, so
there's less incentive to mix all the things (though it does happen).
And feature backports to older distribution rpm does happen from time
to time.

Fedora has the complication of having Git with branches handling
disparate distributions. To make things worse, we don't backport rpm
features and packaging enhancements to RHEL anymore so that Fedora can
use them. And I don't blame them, because the last few times the RPM
team has done that, Fedora didn't adopt the feature anyway, despite
saying that EL support was the gate to adopting it. As someone who has
fought through this mess at least twice now, it frustrates me to no
end that this happens.

To be completely and utterly blunt (and exasperated), Fedora is
absolutely terrible about leveraging the work that the RPM guys do to
solve real problems.

Maybe one day this will get better, but I have stopped holding my
breath on that...