Re: Please stop re-adding gtk-update-icon-cache scriptlets (for Fedora)

Igor Gnatenko <ignatenkobrain@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> […]

>> I was not fully aware of this and I've personally hit this difficulty
>> not on my proposal of the remove hicolor icon caches but on proposing,
>> for example, OpenIPMI or readline changes.
>> Most of my changes were by those packages maintainers simple discarded
>> (readline 100% and in case OpenIPMI ~50%).
>> I'm not trying to blame anyone here but all this only *result* of some
>> assumptions that master branch must be fully compatible with more than
>> one distribution or more than one distribution versions.

> Well, I think because this is simply easy. If we separate changelog to other
> file / make it auto-generated, then it should be easier for people to maintain
> f26/f27/master branches separately. Right now, cherry-picking is never cleanly
> applies due to changelog. Well, we need to do something with Release field as
> well, I don't know why it is still not auto-generated...

> […]

GNU had the same problem in various projects and came up
with a Git merge driver for changelogs
(http://git.savannah.gnu.org/gitweb/?p=gnulib.git;a=blob;f=lib/git-merge-changelog.c).
Now that is a text parsing orgy in C, probably provably cor-
rect, but it suggests that a simpler solution for RPM spec
files should be very feasible.

Tim