Re: LizardFS NFS Ganesha integration with no shared library available

On 01/18/2018 03:23 AM, Jonathan Dieter wrote:
> (This is meant for the Fedora devel mailing list, but I've cc'd the
> nfs-ganesha mailing list in the hopes that they might see something I'm
> missing)
>
> The latest release of the LizardFS distributed filesystem includes a
> FSAL for NFS Ganesha, allowing you to mount a LizardFS filesystem using
> NFS (or pNFS, if you prefer).
>
> Unfortunately, NFS Ganesha doesn't provide a library to build the
> LizardFS FSAL against, so LizardFS upstream downloads the complete NFS
> Ganesha source and builds against that.
>
> As far as I can see, all the other FSAL's are maintained and built in
> NFS Ganesha.
>
> What is the best way for me to include NFS Ganesha support in LizardFS?
>    1. Include the latest Fedora NFS Ganesha source and add a hard requires
>       to that version in the LizardFS NFS subpackage.
>    2. Convince the LizardFS developers to try to move their FSAL into NFS
>       Ganesha? (LizardFS has just added a client library and doesn't have
>       a server library, so this will probably take some work)

That would be the path of least resistance. And the one I would suggest
and highly recommend. If they've already written a FSAL it should be
easy to add it to the nfs-ganesha source.

Depending on the license of course.

>    3. Convince the NFS Ganesha developers to create a library that you can
>       compile FSAL's against?  (The last thread I saw in the NFS Ganesha
>       devel list on this subject was six years old)

That would be a non-trivial amount of work with little benefit to the
current FSAL developers.

It's not an unreasonable request, per se, but we have other, higher
priorities.

>    4. ???
>
> Any advice would be great, as I'd love to get this feature into
> Fedora's release of LizardFS.

Do you have a contact for someone at LizardFS?  I looked at their web
site and nothing popped out at me.

--

Kaleb