Re: Firefox "Looking Glass" fiasco

On Mon, 2017-12-18 at 11:16 -0800, Adam Williamson wrote:
> Well, not quite. I installed Firefox rather a long time ago on this
> system. Again I can't prove it, but at that time I believe this
> question and preference referred *only* to 'data collection'. However,
> since then, a new sub-preference seems to have appeared, labelled
> 'Allow Firefox to install and run studies'. It appears, so far as I can
> tell, that they are claiming this promotional tie-in constituted a
> "study". That's a weak claim to start with, but more importantly, I am
> fairly sure this "Allow Firefox to install and run studies" preference
> was simply set to 'true' when it was *added* to Firefox. I was not
> asked. If I had been, I'm pretty sure I would've said no.

Count me in the same boat.  I hadn't noticed that option until now.

However, before I toggled it off, I noticed the setting "Prevent
accessibility services from accessing your browser".  I briefly read
the "Learn more" for that feature and upon deciding that I have no need
for accessibility services at all, it was just better to toggle that
off.  Fx then wanted to restart for that change.  Much to my surprise,
when I got back to the security/privacy settings, the one for "Allow Fx
to install and run studies" had vanished ... and yes, the "Allow Fx to
send technical and interaction data to Moz" is still enabled.