Re: What to I have to do....

On 12/08/2017 12:33 PM, Adam Williamson wrote:
> On Fri, 2017-12-08 at 12:01 -0500, Steve Dickson wrote:
>> Then on the other hand I get these pull-requests that
>> work sooooo well!
>>
>> So I just don't understand why for non-massive changes
>> why is it not required to go through the pull-request
>> process?
>
> There is a pedestrian reason, which is that the pull request system is
> very *new*. It's only been there a couple of months. So it's not
> surprising that all existing policies haven't been rewritten around it.
Fair enough... It is a very good system.

> But there are also the practical reasons others have given several
> times but you have just ignored in your multiple replies. Put yourself
> in the shoes of a provenpackager who needs to make corresponding
> changes to, say, 50 packages. All those changes need to go through
> before an important modernization/cleanup to another package can be
> completed, for instance.
>
> Now you file 50 pull requests. And wait. And wait. And wait...
Guilty as charged... :-)

This is a massive change... I do get that..

> How long will it be before you can get the modernization/cleanup
> finished? You're going to be sitting there waiting for 50 people to
> respond to pull requests, and it's a racing certainty at least one of
> them just *won't*. In the mean time you'll be working on other things,
> and losing track. It just makes it much harder to get important stuff
> done. Fedora is a *distribution*, and a large part of being a
> distribution is some level of consistency in the way we provide
> software to people. It's *important* that we have a mechanism by which
> we can make a reasonable cut at having multiple packages, maintained by
> different people, do things the same way - and have the packages
> changed promptly when those policies change.
>
> I wouldn't say this is an open-and-shut case, there are reasonable
> arguments in favor of using the PR process for changes, sometimes or
> always. But I agree with other folks that you're not doing yourself any
> favours by acting as if this policy is clearly insane and you're the
> only sane person in the room, and as if there had been some sort of
> major controversy or disaster when there hasn't.
Sane person?? You are actually calling me a sane person!?? That's a first... ;-)

I just think its odd to have so many people that can changes so
much without any boundaries... I just didn't realize that was the case.

> Someone fixed up some
> dependencies in your package which you should've fixed yourself years
> ago. That's the sum total of what happened. Your git complaints don't
> seem to make sense to anyone else and you've refused to explain exactly
> what this special workflow you have is despite more than one person
> specifically asking you.
This time... but there has been other changes...

> Important note: I'm a proven packager. I make changes to other packages
> when I judge that it's appropriate to do so, under the policy.

I think making these single changes via the PR system would be
the best policy.

steved.