Re: Modularity questions for "traditional" RPM packaging

Christopher píše v St 08. 11. 2017 v 22:33 +0000:
> On Wed, Nov 8, 2017 at 2:27 PM Igor Gnatenko <ignatenkobrain@fedorapr
> oject.org> wrote:
> > On Wed, 2017-11-08 at 18:58 +0000, Christopher wrote:
> > > Hi, I've been reading a lot lately about Fedora modularity, and
> > I'm
> > > still a
> > > bit confused on some points.
> > >
> > > Is it necessary for maintainers to create modules for their RPM
> > > packages?
> > Yes.

First of all, I'm not modularity expert. Sharing only what I figured
out during creation of module for my package.

> When will they need to do this? And, how?
> Do I need to create a module per-RPM?

Not per-RPM. But

" If you see that your module needs a common package (like net-tools),
you shouldn’t bundle them either. They should be split into individual
modules. "

Fedora module guidelines: https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Module:Guideli
nes

> How do I find out if my RPMs are already in somebody else's module?

I haven't tried it, but fedmod (https://pagure.io/modularity/fedmod) sh
ould be able to do it. But I think this feature is not completed yet.

As I understand it "main module" is platform module. If you can find
your package in components sections in [1] then your packaged is
already modularized and you are done.
Second important module is bootstrap module (contains a lot of devel
libraries used as build dependency for packages in other modules -
packages from bootstrap can't be use for runtime). List of included
packages can be found again in spec file [2]

If you haven't found you packages in above mentioned modules and you
can find builds of your package in koji (search your package in
"Packages" search) with release ending ".module_<hash>" (e.g. mongodb-
3.4.6-3.module_998c7544), then your package is already built in some
module.
Not sure how to easily figure out which module it is, so IMPOV best way
is to ask on #fedora-modularity on FreeNode for help.

[1] https://src.fedoraproject.org/modules/platform/blob/master/f/platfo
rm.yaml
[2] https://src.fedoraproject.org/modules/bootstrap/blob/master/f/boots
trap.yaml

> From a user perspective, how would a user install an RPM with dnf? Is
> dnf module-aware?

In modular Fedora release dnf is module-aware.

https://docs.pagure.org/modularity/prototype/boltron/instructions.html

> What if the RPMs in my  modules conflict with those in somebody
> else's modules?

That's a good question. And I would like to know it too:-)

> There seems to be a lot of tooling for RPM maintenance. Where is all
> the tooling for module maintenance?

Try https://github.com/fedora-modularity/workshop - it is example of
procedure how to create and build module.

And most important thing is definition of modulemd ("spec file in
modules world") - https://pagure.io/modulemd/blob/master/f/spec.yaml

Small note when you will try it - mbs-build tool depends on git. So
uncommitted changes have no effect:-)

Good luck,
Marek