Re: Modularity questions for "traditional" RPM packaging

On Wed, 2017-11-08 at 18:58 +0000, Christopher wrote:
> Hi, I've been reading a lot lately about Fedora modularity, and I'm
> still a
> bit confused on some points.
>
> Is it necessary for maintainers to create modules for their RPM
> packages?
Yes.
> Is modularity something that a maintainer for an RPM package must
> deal with?
At this point not, but if there will be no more "traditional" Fedora,
then yes.
> What kinds of new issues must an RPM maintainer keep in mind to avoid
> making it harder for people creating/maintaining modules?
Introducing new or incomplete dependencies 😉
> Do all RPMs have to be in a module to be included in future Fedora
> releases? If so, is there a default module for RPMs which have not
> been
> added to any other module?
AIUI, there will be no such module.

> Until now, I've thought modules are something that "somebody else"
> needs to
> think about, because I'm happy with conventional packaging. But now,
> I'm
> worried that the packages I maintain more or less on my own, will not
> be
> available in Fedora unless I take action. Is that the case? Or will
> traditional RPM packaging be largely unaffected?
I think it is hard to tell at this point, modularity might work or
might not. Concept might change. Other thing might change.

> Sorry if this is previously covered somewhere. As I said, I've been
> doing a
> lot of reading, but these are still questions I have after reading
> everything I've been able to find on the subject.
>

> Thanks,
>
> Christopher

- --
- -Igor Gnatenko