Re: streamlining fedora-release

On 8 November 2017 at 13:50, Peter Robinson <pbrobinson@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Wed, Nov 8, 2017 at 6:47 PM, Zbigniew Jędrzejewski-Szmek
> <zbyszek@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> On Wed, Nov 08, 2017 at 05:58:13PM +0000, Stephen Gallagher wrote:

>>> Well, there are a number of places where changing the contents of those
>>> text files can have a significant adverse effect on the distribution. In
>>> particular, many packages rely on the ID=, ID_LIKE=, and VARIANT_ID= fields
>>> in os-release to make decisions. Changing those without an understanding of
>>> what might break would be dangerous. I think that's a good argument for
>>> keeping this package under tighter control.
>>
>> That'd have to be a malicious change. So either a maintainer of fedora-release
>> or a proven packager would have to try to intentionally break the system.
>> It's not something I'd worry about.
>
> We've had issues with this from experienced people so you might not
> worry about it but you're also not the one people will scream at.

And most of the time it has not been malicious. It was "I need this to
fix my thing and it can't break anything since I tested it on my box".
It has happened enough times that it isn't something to be considered
a "never will happen again" because it is usually someone else needing
something fixed for a deadline and their brain circuits shortcutting
because of it.

--
Stephen J Smoogen.