Re: Why is Fx 57 in Updates Testing?

On Thu, 2017-10-12 at 21:22 +0200, nicolas.mailhot@xxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
> De: "Adam Williamson"
>
> > I don't believe anyone
> > outside of Firefox enthusiasts and the package maintainer were even
> > aware there was an issue to discuss.
>
> The last 2 or 3 Firefox releases have been adding warnings (and
> ramping them up) in the Firefox extension panel.

...which you really have no reason to look at unless you're doing
something specific in it, in which case you're focusing on that
specific thing.

Looking at it right now, the extensions which aren't compatible with
F57 have a yellow 'LEGACY' tag on them, but that's all. Clicking on it
takes you to a page with an explanation, but I only just discovered
that; it's not obvious and there's no explanation on the addons page
itself of what 'LEGACY' means.

> I even had a specific presentation @work on Firefox ESR and what it
> means in terms of compatibility breakage a few months ago, even
> though we are not an IT company and would be classified as extremely
> conservative, not too FLOSS-friendly, late to change and sold out to
> Microsoft on the desktop by outsiders (the reality is much more
> nuanced and we have a large Firefox deployment internally). God knows
> our desktop people learnt to anticipate browser breakage after years
> of trying to standardize on IE, before giving up and authorizing
> Firefox too.

Yes, but we're a *distributor*. It's our job to mediate change for our
users, not to just pass it along and wash our hands of it by saying
upstream was telling them about it.
--
Adam Williamson
Fedora QA Community Monkey