Re: plan to update F27 to systemd-235

On Mon, Oct 09, 2017 at 01:04:55PM +0200, Reindl Harald wrote:
> maybe you did not understand that he is talking about "DefaultTasksMax=512"
> which is systemd, affects all services and was *in the meantime* raised

Surely this is one of the things a system administrator is expected to
tune based on the specifics of their systems?  (I certainly have!)

Meanwhile.  Whether or not systemd's upstream default of 512 (long since
changed to a relative 15% of the kernel limit [1]) was the right value
or not, some distribution would have had to package that release before
it ended up in front of the end-users who then (rightly) complained.
After all, his would have been a trivial thing to disable at the
distro-wide level (ie change the default to "infinity" in the distro
package), not unlike the many other choices already being made when
packaging systemd for said distro.

I can sympathize with the end-users (except for those who upgraded their
infrastructure without performing testing first), but I have no sympathy
for distro maintainers (infrastructure and packagers alike) caught
unawares -- because keeping on top of this sort of integration stuff is
their entire raison d'etre!

(The fact that Ubuntu shipped an LTS release containing this change
 without so much as documenting it is IMO inexcusable..)

> and who the hell told you MySQL is not distributed by Fedora?
> https://koji.fedoraproject.org/koji/packageinfo?packageID=15792

I stand corrected.

[1] https://github.com/systemd/systemd/issues/3211
    https://github.com/systemd/systemd/pull/3753

 - Solomon
--
Solomon Peachy			       pizza at shaftnet dot org
Coconut Creek, FL                          ^^ (email/xmpp) ^^