Re: plan to update F27 to systemd-235

On Fri, Oct 6, 2017 at 11:04 AM, Zbigniew Jędrzejewski-Szmek
<zbyszek@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> systemd 235 was released today. A large number of issues was closed
> upstream, including many bug fixes, documentation updates, and
> long-standing RFEs. There are some new features, but relatively few
> entirely new features or changes in behaviour that impact other
> services. There also are no (intentional) breaking changes.

Systemd doesn't "intend" to break working software. But it has
repeatedly demanded, without advance notice, that working software be
rewritten to support a new and unexpected violation of working
standards by systemd. The symlink replacment of /etc/resolv.conf was
one. The killing of logged out user processes, without record and with
no option to disable it after compilation in release 230 was another
one. Do not get me *started* on the "systemd knows better than you do
or than syslinux how many active connections MySQL should support,
we'll just reset that behind your back" that I encountered recently.

Systemd version updates need regression testing and burn-in. I'd like
to very strongly discourage activating it this late in the Fedora 17
release process.

> The update is building for rawhide. If nothing major pops up, I'd like
> to release the update for F27 too. (The updates policy says that
> "major version updates should be avoided", but systemd does not use
> semantic versioning, so there's no distinction between major and minor
> releases. A number of patches was backported previously, and are
> already present in F27, but there are other fixes that are too
> numerous to backport, and which would be desirable to have in F27.)
>
> Zbyszek

Systemd's unwillingness to use major/minor revision numbering is just
another of the reasons I don't have high confidence in the safety of
its updates. If the updates and feature additions are too numerous to
describe, then that multiplies my concern that it will break otherwise
stable software unexpectedly.

Are there any particular features you consider a "must-have" for
Fedora 27? Is there anything that justifies the risk of a late update?