Re: Fedora Modular Server: status and game plan?

On 09/08/2017 11:14 AM, James Hogarth wrote:

On 8 September 2017 at 16:04, Randy Barlow <bowlofeggs@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx <mailto:bowlofeggs@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>> wrote:

    On 09/08/2017 10:51 AM, Tom Hughes wrote:
    > Surely (c) would make a mockery of change system. What would not
    make a
    > mockery of the change system would be to invoke the contingency
    plan.

    > Except there doesn't seem to be one:

    https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Changes/Modular_Server#Contingency_Plan
    <https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Changes/Modular_Server#Contingency_Plan>

There is actually a contingency plan, it is just in a different change. The change process/template did map very well to what we are trying to do so there are a few changes that all go together.

https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Changes/ModularRelease#Contingency_Plan

You kind of need to look at:
* https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Changes/Modular_Server
* https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Changes/Host_and_Platform
* https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Changes/ModularRelease

as all connected. Apologies for any confusion.

Basically, the contingency plan is to just not ship the modular server version, or do it on the side similar to boltron. Right now, we are building a traditional version of server every time there is a normal compose. We actually have to make a change(s) to make the contingency plan not the actual plan.

    I suggest option (b), delaying modularity until Fedora 28, though I
    agree that it's problematic that there doesn't seem to be a
    contingency
    plan defined here.

    Speaking from Bodhi's perspective, I think we should have had modular
    functionality in Bodhi before the beta freeze. Technically there
    is also
    a Bodhi change request to add non-RPM artifacts (modules) that is also
    not done. It makes me nervous to make such a large change in Bodhi so
    close to the final freeze.

    Delaying the modular server release until F28 will give us time to
    work
    out bugs in Bodhi and other tooling and help us to release a more
    solid
    server product to our users.

+1 to that

It doesn't exist as a product our users depend on yet ... so there's no "loss" or issues to the current userbase.

Rushing things almost always causes unforeseen issues that then crop and require further hack/hot fixes and scrambling ...

If we delay the whole F27 for this product that they aren't relying on ... what happens if there's further issues? This then leads to a direct impact on F28 and any other work for that.

The only really sensible thing that lines up with process and minimises disruption on our users and other bits and pieces is to just postpone that one feature to F28 ... particularly in light of the boshi dependencies still not in place Randy mentioned.

This is going to be a new way of handling servers and services within Fedora ... let's not launch it without significance confidence and testing as a bad launch will leave a bad taste in people's mouth in the future and be more hurtful to the project than a delay of that feature for a more well tested solution early next year with F28.

I really want to keep working to an F27 goal and we will discuss this with Fesco at the meeting today. The modular server, while having some of its own issues has also been effected by the changes that delayed the traditional F27 builds. As a result, we have been delayed as well.

That said, I agree, we would like it to be a "good release." I just don't think we need to pull the plug yet as  we have a solid fall back plan.

From mattdm:

  Also note that the release blocking images list for F27 does not yet
  even exist, let alone has it been updated for this Change:

  https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Releases/26/ReleaseBlocking (F26 page)
  https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Releases/27/ReleaseBlocking (Doesn't
  exist)
</mattdm>

^^ I am not sure how this is related to modular server at all as it is a normal part of the traditional distribution process and not provided by the modularity wg.

Langdon