Re: Finalizing Fedora's Switch to Python 3

On 3 August 2017 at 04:55, Przemek Klosowski <przemek.klosowski@xxxxxxxx> wrote:
> This looks like a trend: sqlite started doing this and now python :). I
> dislike being forced to specify versions after I've been on my best behavior
> and made sure that my tools work with up-to-date software. If python3 is
> becoming the default python interpreter, what exactly is the argument for
> NOT providing an alias 'python' that runs python3?

The proposed outcome is for that alias to be switchable by end users
between 3 configurations (always reports an error, always runs Python
2, always runs Python 3).

For that to be supportable, we need *distro* packages to always
specify either python2 or python3 (otherwise they'll break in the "not
specified" configuration, or when the alias points to the "wrong"
version).

Cheers,
Nick.

--