Re: Finalizing Fedora's Switch to Python 3

On 28.7.2017 20:11, Colin Walters wrote:

On Fri, Jul 28, 2017, at 01:53 PM, Randy Barlow wrote:
On Fri, 2017-07-28 at 12:41 -0400, Colin Walters wrote:
I'm opposed to switching the meaning of `/usr/bin/python` for AH
anytime soon.  It's just going to break stuff, and to me the gain is
quite
low.

One of Fedora's stated goals is to remain close to the upstream.
Upstream Python is going to change /usr/bin/python to mean Python 3. If
AH keeps it on Python 2, it will be confusing for Python programmers
using AH. It will be especially confusing for programmers who want to
write software that works on "normal" Fedora and AH.

First, I don't see a need for even mild pejoratives; instead of "normal" you could say
for example "other editions".

Now, we don't really expect people "program" AH directly in that sense;
most development should go in containers, except for development of
the various Python things we carry in the host, but that's not a huge set.

Also, as software
begins to switch AH will have to patch its Python packages, diverging
from the rest of Fedora.

That's actually something I hadn't even considered; is it proposed
here to actually have a flag day where all (or even some) of the python3 executables
start using /usr/bin/python and everything else is /usr/bin/python2?

No. We'd like to keep it the way that everything in Fedora either uses /usr/bin/python3 or /usr/bin/python2. To keep the possibility for the sysadmins to change /usr/bin/python to whatever crazy target they want.

Patching packages would not be required here.

The scope of that would appear to me to be quite staggering.

Are we really at the point even where everything that's python2 only
explicitly references /usr/bin/python2?  I'm doubtful.

I don't see a practical advantage to divergence. I believe the
divergence will break stuff in a more confusing manner than the change
will.

I don't want to break Ansible users or in general random sysadmin scripts;
the value of replacing the meaning of /usr/bin/python feels quite low relative
to that.

Miro Hrončok
--
Phone: +420777974800