Re: Two more concrete ideas for what a once-yearly+update schedule would look like

El mar, 01-08-2017 a las 08:26 +0100, Michael Catanzaro escribió:
> Keep in mind that GNOME Software already only checks for non-security
> updates weekly. So it will actually take as much as two weeks for the
> update to reach users once it enters batched, which I suspect may not
> have been intended. We are really looking at weekly updates with an
> additional one-week delay. Probably you were intending to implement
> weekly updates without that delay, which seems more desirable? If so,
> coordination with the Software developers will be needed.
>
> Also, if I mark a security update as low priority, that means it
> really is low priority. There's no need for many security updates to
> skip batched. Many are e.g. minor DoS vulnerabilities that are
> unlikely to be exploited ever, let alone in the next two weeks. Of
> course remote code execution problems should probably skip batched,
> but those are unlikely to be marked as low priority. ;)
>
> Michael

gnome-software really should follow what we ship, in what you describe
we have the potential of making some parts worse for users. because
there is a non null probability that users will lose the ability to
install deltarpms.  I would really like to see us have a single unified
view on update management at a distro level and not having different
tools implementing their own behaviours.

Dennis