Re: Two more concrete ideas for what a once-yearly+update schedule would look like

On Mon, 2017-07-31 at 22:13 -0400, Ben Rosser wrote:
> 1. Are you saying that this feature will be *activated* once it's
> merged, or just that it will be available should Fedora decide to
> turn
> it on as a policy decision? I'm assuming it's the latter, as I don't
> think I've seen a change proposal or anything be formally filed about
> this, and I would have expected that for this kind of change, but
> it's
> not entirely clear to me from this email.

Hi Ben!

It would be activated whenever the Bodhi that has it is deployed.
However, it won't be a forced policy - developers will still be free to
click "push to stable" if they please. The autokarma feature will
simply move updates to batched now. Once the UI work is completed, the
plan is for the UI to offer a "push to batched" option for testing
updates that meet the 7 day criteria, and a "push to stable" button for
all batched updates. Thus, I didn't think it would be necessary to file
for a change, but I'd be happy to do so if it is necessary.

> 2. If we do implement this, could we consider not batching new
> package
> updates in addition to security and "urgent" updates? New package
> updates wouldn't get downloaded onto users systems upon running "dnf
> upgrade", so the update process would still *feel* batched from an
> end-user point of view. But we would simultaneously be able to
> deliver
> new software quickly to users, or at least as quickly as we do today.
> (I find that people rarely test new package updates, or at least
> rarely test them and give karma, which means that a newpackage
> request
> generally sits the full 7 or 14 days in bodhi-- so I don't think we
> should add up to 7 days to that timetable).

That's a good suggestion that I hadn't though about. Sure, I think
that's a good idea - care to propose it on the pull request yourself
since it was your idea? This is the line where an "or self.type is
newpackage" would go:

https://github.com/fedora-infra/bodhi/pull/1678/files#diff-6406e7faaf25263056c68009517cf66dR2376

> I guess if this were done there might need to be a check put in place
> to stop someone from flagging their bodhi update as "newpackage" when
> it's not, in fact, a new package to bypass the batching, but this
> seems like something that should be easy to do.

Since it's not a forced policy I don't think we need to worry about
anyone trying to work around the system. Developers will be able to
keep pushing to stable as they see fit. This just offers another path
for those times where you have an update that is more on the minor side
and you don't mind it waiting for the next batch.