Re: Summary/Minutes from today's FESCo Meeting (2017-07-21)

On Sat, Jul 22, 2017 at 06:14:37AM +0200, Kevin Kofler wrote:
> > * AGREED: - APPROVED: F27 System Wide Change: Graphical Applications
> > as Flatpaks (+1:6, +0:0, -1:0) (Includes a +1 in ticket from absense
> > FESCo member)  (maxamillion, 16:34:38)
> Sigh! Does FESCo ever do anything to changes coming from some influential
> people at Red Hat other than waving them through? There wasn't even a single
> -1 vote on this controversial feature!

I didn't see much controversy over the actual feature. There is a big
(and completely valid) ideological disagreement over packaging and what
it means to be a distribution — but nothing in this specific change
actually changes or challenges that. The thread controversy seems
primarily over speculation over one possible vision of where this
feature might lead in the future, not over what is actually proposed at
this time.

I would be surprised and disappointed to see FESCo say no to _any_
experiment of this scope with a similar amount of effort, commitment,
and planning for infrastructure integration. Fedora is supposed to be a
place where people can lead innovation in this way. I think that moving
ahead is the best way to actually have a chance of seeing issues in the
real world and having them addressed in a way that meets Fedora's
needs.

If you read the logs, note that a number of FESCo members *did* have
various concerns and felt those concerns sufficiently addressed (in the
discussion thread and in the meeting). "Waved through" does not seem
like a fair characterization. And you don't need to take my word for
that. See the logs at:
https://meetbot.fedoraproject.org/fedora-meeting/2017-07-21/fesco.2017-07-21-16.00.log.html
Unanimous consent from FESCo does not seem like a problem to me. If the
vote narrowly passed at +5 to -4, I'd take that as a bigger concern.

--
Matthew Miller
<mattdm@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>