Re: Snappy [was Re: Fedora, apps, and the Flatpak opportunity]

On Wed, Jul 19, 2017 at 09:36:25PM +0200, Zygmunt Krynicki wrote:
> > fundamental technology. That is, Snappy is GPL v3 for everyone except
> > Canonical, but effectively BSD/MIT-style for Canonical _including_
> > outside contributions. If we would decide to invest heavily in snaps,
[...]
> I understand but I honestly think we are at a disadvantage here. If
> snapd is successful anyone could fork it and continue development around
> a version that doesn't need a CLA. That would put pressure on Ubuntu
> which could not use those improvements. (see the tail of this reply for
> more licensing observations).

We prefer to work with upstreams rather than making forks, though. I
guess that could be one approach but it doesn't really seem great for
anyone, especially not in the interest of universality.

> > this is a pretty big stumbling block. And I don't think just for
> > Fedora. If you _really_ want to make Snappy a cross-distro success,
> > it's important to remedy this. In my non-lawyerly view, even
> > relicensing under MIT for _everyone_ would at least be more fair. I
> > personally think committing to GPL for everyone, Canonical included,
> > would be better.
> I think some form of CLA is acceptable and it's unfair to say that
> projects should not require CLAs. At Canonical we often contribute to
> projects under CLAs simply because that's how they are developed (e.g.
> golang itself) and we recognize the asymmetry of a single contribution
> over a large investment to develop something in the first place. Lastly
> many people just don't mind. I also recognize that some people *do* mind
> and reject all but ultra-pure FOSS ideas and I'm okay with that too.

I'm not rejecting all CLAs. I find this particular one troubling when
used in conjunction with a copyleft license like GPL. It puts Canonical
in a particular privileged place to take the project to an "open core"
proprietary model. I don't think that Canonical is likely to do that
*now*, but the future is hard to be certain about. (And if that's not a
concern, why is it so important to have the CLA phrased this way?)

It's perfectly fine if Canonical wants to do this. You're right that
the initial investment in code is a big deal. I'm not saying it's
wrong; just that it's a big barrier to large-scale adoption in Fedora
and probably in other distros as well.

The Harmony CLA template Canonical uses has _other_ options for the
relevant sections, like promising to use licenses in the same family,
licenses approved the FSF, or just a list of possible licenses. If the
goal is to make a universal system, it seems like a better choice. (Or,
like I said, to use something other than GPL, which removes the
asymmetry.)

--
Matthew Miller
<mattdm@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>