Snappy [was Re: Fedora, apps, and the Flatpak opportunity]

On Tue, Jul 18, 2017 at 11:22:54PM +0200, Zygmunt Krynicki wrote:
> > and until Snappy gets the ability to use something other than an Ubuntu
> > binary runtime, it's a non-starter.)
> Hey Matthew
> Snappy can do this today in the master branch. There are a lot of
> thinned missing and a lot of assumptions are still in place but we
> are well on our way towards a working Fedora based snapd installation
> on any host distribution.

Cool -- that's great news. I'll keep an eye on further developments. I
do also have to say that the asymmetrical provisions of the Canonical
CLA make it much less likely for Fedora to adopt Snappy as a
fundamental technology. That is, Snappy is GPL v3 for everyone except
Canonical, but effectively BSD/MIT-style for Canonical _including_
outside contributions. If we would decide to invest heavily in snaps,
Canonical would benefit immensely from that, and then decide to make an
"open core" offering including our work merged with proprietary
extensions. If snap becomes very popular, these proprietary extensions
could be used to put us at a disadvantage.

I would *love* to see more collaboration between Flatpak and Snappy,
possibly even leading to a unified, merged solution in the future, but
this is a pretty big stumbling block. And I don't think just for
Fedora. If you _really_ want to make Snappy a cross-distro success,
it's important to remedy this. In my non-lawyerly view, even
relicensing under MIT for _everyone_ would at least be more fair. I
personally think committing to GPL for everyone, Canonical included,
would be better.

(Compare for example Fedora's FPCA, which requires no grant of license,
simply assurance that the code is under an acceptable free software or
open source license. Or Flatpak, for that matter, which is under simply
LGPL v2.1 or later.)

--
Matthew Miller
<mattdm@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>