Fedora, apps, and the Flatpak opportunity

Containers (and particularly, Docker-style containers with Kubernetes
orchestration) are rapidly taking over the server world. This is not
hyperbole, and while one might fairly throw "everything old is new
again", it's not a fad. This is a real generational shift.

We're at the forefront of this with Fedora Atomic Host (and OpenShift
Origin in Fedora as well). This is awesome.

I think these technologies are going to come to the desktop, too. Maybe
not Kubernetes for a while (although that certainly presents an
interesting picture of a hybrid-cloud-powered future), but certainly
container tech in some form — maybe it's an iteration of Jessie
Frazelle's Docker on the Desktop, maybe it's Snappy, maybe it's
Flatpak. I think Flatpak is a good bet, because I trust Alexander
Larsson's expertise in this space — and because it's aligned with OCI,
the Open Container Initiative. (Plus, using Docker inherently hacky,
and until Snappy gets the ability to use something other than an Ubuntu
binary runtime, it's a non-starter.)

In any case, I'm definitely interested in seeing the experiment.

Ever since Fedora started, we've had several somewhat-competing key
activities — making an awesome out-of-the-box operating system (in
whatever flavors), _and_ in packaging up a universe of useful
applications and tools for users. I know *I* love that when I install
Fedora, I can install a graphics editor or an alternate terminal
program or whatever without going out to a web search and hoping
whatever I come back with isn't sketchy.

We can definitely keep doing this as RPMs. That's fine; it's working,
and we're good at it. There's some pain, but we mostly know how to deal
with that pain. We also have a huge opportunity here to take that
accumulated wealth of packaged software and the expertise encoded in
that packaging and turn it into a trove of Flatpak applications. This
would bring the benefits of

 * safe online updates
 * a sandboxing model
 * ability to mix and match versions and streams
 * a sane way to install apps on Fedora Atomic Workstation

to Fedora users — but, also, it would immediately expand the reach and
impact of our work to users on other distros, where suddenly
Fedora-created packages run seamlessly. For graphical applications, the
work we do will immediately be multiplied in user impact. This is a
huge win with minimal effort on the part of packagers, once the planned
automation is all in place.

Is this a plan for expanding Fedora domination? Yes — but I think
it's a pretty friendly one. Let's share our awesome work with more
people!

--
Matthew Miller
<mattdm@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>