Re: Coming soon: Pagure service for dist-git

MM> This might be an awful idea, but what if we have a proven packager
MM> run a script to drop a README.md into each dist-git repo, with some
MM> default template content (possibly including the %description)?

Well, it's useful as a start, but I see some issues.

If not maintained automatically:
* The same data would now be kept in two places.
* Extra work for package maintainers.
* Would become outdated if maintainers don't feel like putting in extra
  work.
* Would have to be set up by someone for new packages, or we're back to
  the same issue on a smaller scale.

If maintained automatically:
* we must take care that any updates provided by maintainers aren't
  overwritten.
* Would have to run from cron and would not be particularly cheap
  (thousands of git pulls, re-substitutions and pushes) even though
  these rarely change.
* Would be another task that infrastructure has to maintain, unless some
  provenpackager just does this occasionally from their own
  infrastructure, in which case we have to worry about how long that
  person is willing to perform the task.
* The amount of scripting involved is almost certainly more than
  packaging python-markdown-macros(#) and hooking that
  up to pagure with a couple of custom functions to pull things from a
  database which already exists.

#  The markdown-macros thing I'm talking about is at
   https://github.com/wnielson/markdown-macros

Of course I'm saying the latter with zero time now to actually do that,
and maybe we'd want to use a different syntax or do something custom,
but that module at least shows that it's relatively easy to do.

I'm also assuming that the existing database containing package
information is in some way accessible to the pagure instance.

MM> This may be less work than special-casing something in Pagure.

Probably slightly less work initially; I don't think pagure is so
inflexible as to require some huge restructuring to permit this.
Certainly quicker to get us to a state where we don't have blank landing
pages.

And even if we did the manual thing for a start, we can still talk about
how we'd like it to work.

 - J<