Coming soon: Pagure service for dist-git

For some time, the Fedora Infrastructure team and fellow community
members have been working on service upgrades for package dist-git.
This includes creating a Pagure front end like the one at
<https://pagure.io>, a separate instance that enables forks and pull
requests on dist-git.  This change solves multiple problems -- both
common, current ones, and predicted future ones -- that stymie
community growth and contribution.  Examples include proposing simple
packaging fixes, changes to the dist-git branching model, and enabling
better, more continuous production models for Fedora.

These changes will *not* require packagers to change their workflows
for existing processes.  Using fedpkg and git at the command line to
manage packaging will work just as before.  However, it will now be
possible for other contributors to suggest changes in a
fork/pull-request model.

WE'VE TALKED ABOUT THIS FOR A LONG TIME. WHY NOW?

If you've been paying attention to release tooling efforts in Fedora,
you know we're trying to accelerate the release of the Atomic Host
deliverable.  Part of this effort is establishing a pipeline for
continuous integration and delivery (CI/CD) in Fedora[1].  This and
the modularity effort also are driving the establishment of services
like this dist-git front end.  The hooks and capabilities of Pagure
are part of enabling CI/CD.

In early phases, these efforts will target the packages that comprise
the Atomic Host, rather than the entire universe of Fedora packages.
This temporary measure will prove out the pipeline in an open source,
iterative way.  In later phases, packagers throughout Fedora will be
able to opt-in to the pipeline as well.  The benefit is that we will
know more often whether a package has problems before either breaking
the distro or impacting users.  In the future, we hope this will have
a positive impact on Rawhide, making it usable by more of the
community, more often.

WHAT TO EXPECT
- --------------

One of the contributions expected in this early phase is testing. The
standard interface[2] developed as part of the CI effort provides a
framework for test contributions.  Shortly after Pagure/dist-git shows
up, we hope to receive test contributions from quality engineers for
packages that comprise the Atomic Host.  These should come in the form
of pull requests for the package maintainers, following the
established standards.

This is a benefit for Fedora not only because it kickstarts the CI
effort, but because it provides examples the whole Fedora community
can use in later phases.  The intention is that maintainers and
co-maintainers continue to control these tests so they can modify or
add to them as needed.

If you're a packager with a package in the Atomic Host, you may
receive pull requests soon after the new Pagure instance is deployed,
with these tests included.  We encourage you to review and merge these
pull requests (provided they look good), so your package can take
advantage of the CI work.  If you have problems with the pull request,
you can use the Pagure instance to work with the contributor to fix
it.

It is possible to turn off PRs for your dist-git repo in the repo
settings.  However, we strongly encourage you to allow PRs because
this is a strong source of potential contributions with little or no
downside.  We plan to work with FESCo on a project-wide policy that
makes sense and fits Fedora's values.

WANT TO TRY IT OUT?
- -------------------

If you're interested to see what this new capability looks like, and
want to test a working version, visit
<https://src.stg.fedoraproject.org/pagure/>.  Changes here won't
affect the actual Fedora RPMs, but the staging instance lets you
explore the new functionality.  Note that the staging content is
updated on a schedule, so some newer package data may not appear
there.

It will be at least a few more weeks before the production instance is
ready.  We appreciate your constructive feedback and bugs[3], as
always.

* * *
[1] https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/CI
[2] https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Changes/InvokingTests