Re: Deprecated net-tools? Mass bug filing?

On Wed, May 17, 2017 at 07:04:46PM +0100, Sérgio Basto wrote:
> On Wed, 2017-05-17 at 13:47 -0400, Chuck Anderson wrote:
> > Here is a list of binary commands in net-tools:
> >
> > /usr/bin/netstat
> > /usr/sbin/arp
> > /usr/sbin/ether-wake
> > /usr/sbin/ifconfig
> > /usr/sbin/ipmaddr
> > /usr/sbin/iptunnel
> > /usr/sbin/mii-diag
> > /usr/sbin/mii-tool
> > /usr/sbin/nameif
> > /usr/sbin/plipconfig
> > /usr/sbin/route
> > /usr/sbin/slattach
> >
> > I don't mind removing dependencies on net-tools, as long as there
> > still exists these commands in the default install:
> >
> > netstat
> > arp
> > ifconfig
> > route
> >
> > I consider those to be a basic part of the user interface of any
> > Linux/UNIX system--there is too much historical precedent and
> > documentation to remove them IMO.  It would be like trying to remove
> > "ls" just because there is a newer/better way to list files.
>
> I generally agree , but what are the replacement ?  that is "the"
> important information .

The important detail is that a user should be able to type the same
commands that have worked on almost every Linux/UNIX system for 20+
years to get information about the system.  I think this is most
important for showing the current network status.  It is less imporant
for configuring the network, but some basic changes should still be
possible with the compatible commands.  Here is a list off the top of
my head that we should keep working in a default install:

netstat -r, netstat -i, netstat -a, netstat -l
arp, arp -a, arp -d, arp -s
ifconfig, ifconfig -a, ifconfig up/down
route -a, route add/del (at least for default gateway)

Heck, many of those even work on Windows.  It would be a shame to lose
this basic level of compatibility across so many types of systems that
has been there for so long.