Re: Upgrade path w/ new compat package

On Wed, 5 Apr 2017 10:37:30 +0200, Vít Ondruch wrote:

> >   https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Package_Renaming_Process
> >   https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Packaging:Guidelines#Renaming.2FReplacing_Existing_Packages
> >
> > because you want the new js-jquery2 package to replace the previous
> > js-jquery package
>
> No, I don't want to.
>
> > , or else it would not satisfy existing dependencies
> > at all. Only with the added "Provides" as per the renaming process
> > it would do that.
>
> Neither I want js-jquery to have any provides for jQuery 2.x. Update of
> js-jquery is just regular update from my POV, nothing else. It probably
> breaks API, that might happen and happens all the time.

It doesn't matter what _you_ want. An upgrade of the current js-jquery
package from v2 to v3 bears the risk of breaking existing packages,
which depends on "js-jquery" in some way. That would be inacceptable.
And if the dependency on js-jquery is strictly versioned, an upgrade
would break such a dependency. That would be inacceptable, too. Hence
something would need to "Provides: js-jquery = 2.something", so no
deps would break.

The order in which to release upgrades, renamed packages and
rebuilds/fixes, is important. You may believe that releasing a new
js-jquery2 package first is a solution, but it isn't, if that package
cannot be used to resolve versioned dependencies on js-jquery in
already existing packages. Temporarily the new package would also
duplicate files found in another package or conflict with it even,
if it doesn't _replace_ the other package.