Automatic start of systemd units after installation

Hey everyone,

there is a systemd .socket unit in of the packages I maintain. It
already has a preset in the default preset configuration so it is
properly enabled after the package got installed.

However what I am wondering about is, if it is expected that I need to
reboot the system or manually call

$ systemctl start my.socket

to get the unit properly started. After a system reboot the socket unit
is started as it should.

I've tried to find any policy which tells me what is allowed here and
what not but only found
https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Packaging:DefaultServices which isn't
clear on this topic.

regards,