Re: Automatic start of systemd units after installation

On 04/05/2017 06:04 AM, Simon Fels wrote:
> Hey everyone,
>
> there is a systemd .socket unit in of the packages I maintain. It
> already has a preset in the default preset configuration so it is
> properly enabled after the package got installed.
>
> However what I am wondering about is, if it is expected that I need to
> reboot the system or manually call
>
> $ systemctl start my.socket
>
> to get the unit properly started. After a system reboot the socket unit
> is started as it should.
>
> I've tried to find any policy which tells me what is allowed here and
> what not but only found
> https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Packaging:DefaultServices which isn't
> clear on this topic.

Yeah, we should probably amend this document. systemd doesn't automatically
start the installed services even if the preset is available because it has to
account for the case where the package is being installed in the installer (e.g.
Anaconda, Calamares, etc.) environment where it's actually happening in a chroot
or other similar approach.

We don't have that information when the RPM scripts run, so we can't
conditionalize it.