Re: Upgrade path w/ new compat package

Dne 5.4.2017 v 12:06 Michael Schwendt napsal(a):
> On Wed, 5 Apr 2017 10:37:30 +0200, Vít Ondruch wrote:
>
>>>   https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Package_Renaming_Process
>>>   https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Packaging:Guidelines#Renaming.2FReplacing_Existing_Packages
>>>
>>> because you want the new js-jquery2 package to replace the previous
>>> js-jquery package
>> No, I don't want to.
>>
>>> , or else it would not satisfy existing dependencies
>>> at all. Only with the added "Provides" as per the renaming process
>>> it would do that.
>> Neither I want js-jquery to have any provides for jQuery 2.x. Update of
>> js-jquery is just regular update from my POV, nothing else. It probably
>> breaks API, that might happen and happens all the time.
> It doesn't matter what _you_ want. An upgrade of the current js-jquery
> package from v2 to v3 bears the risk of breaking existing packages,
> which depends on "js-jquery" in some way. That would be inacceptable.

Is this some special process for js-jquery?

It is quite common that package bumps its version or soname and breaks
something. We either fix the incompatibility or provide "compat" package.

You can take recent update of openssl from 1.0.1 to 1.1.0 as an example.
It was updated just to later introduce compat-openssl10 to not break the
systems that much.

How many libpng versions we have currently in Fedora and yet I don't see
any Obsoletes/Provides in any of them.

> And if the dependency on js-jquery is strictly versioned, an upgrade
> would break such a dependency. That would be inacceptable, too.

I keep js-jquery requires strictly versioned especially to know that
js-jquery version was changed so I can fix my package appropriately.

> Hence something would need to "Provides: js-jquery = 2.something", so no
> deps would break.

Dependency breakage is not anything exeptional we don't deal with.

> The order in which to release upgrades, renamed packages and
> rebuilds/fixes, is important. You may believe that releasing a new
> js-jquery2 package first is a solution, but it isn't, if that package
> cannot be used to resolve versioned dependencies on js-jquery in
> already existing packages.

I say that releasing js-jquery2 package is just "nice to have" and I
have use case for it. But world will not break apart if js-jquery2 is
not introduced.

> Temporarily the new package would also
> duplicate files found in another package or conflict with it even,
> if it doesn't _replace_ the other package.

Yes, and to avoid them, the proposal is to regularly bump js-jquery to
version 3.x and deal with the outfall (very likely by introducing
js-jquery2).

Vít