Re: F27 System Wide Change: No More Alphas

On Wed, Feb 22, 2017 at 09:05:14AM -0800, Adam Williamson wrote:
> On Wed, 2017-02-22 at 17:30 +0100, Petr Lautrbach wrote:
> >
> > > Rawhide has been broken since the 15th, First due to nss, then rdma-
> > > core, followed by policycoreutils and setools breakages.
> >
> > Could you please share more information about policycoreutils and
> > setools breakages? I haven't noticed any problem or report and I think
> > we've tested it. I'd like to prevent these problems in future.
>
> 'Breakage' is putting it slightly strongly: it's basically a dependency
> issue. With the new version of setools, setools-python3 replaces
> setools-libs , and grows a new dependency on python3-networkx .
> python3-networkx hauls in a whole bunch of other stuff, including
> python2, perl, texlive and ghostscript stuff.
>
> This is problematic because it affects the installer environment. We
> have this dep chain:
>
> docker-anaconda-addon -> docker -> container-selinux ->
> policycoreutils-python-utils -> policycoreutils-python3
>
> pulling policycoreutils-python3 into the installer environment, which
> means that now, python3-networkx and all its deps get pulled into the
> installer environment too.

Good job tracking down that mess. Seems like policycoreutils should
rethink what they are pulling in.

> Because the entire installer environment is loaded into RAM during
> install, we try quite hard to keep the installer environment *small*.

Not anymore (that was a F17 experiment that didn't go well). We run from
the boot media unless it's a PXE boot.

> So we either:
>
> 1. Leave the newly-bloated deps in the install root and stop stripping
> libtiff and avahi-libs

This is the right path, as far as lorax is concerned. If some dependency
is needed then we're going to do what we need to do to enable it to run.

There may be other things that can be stripped out -- but with something
that large the right place is to modify the dependencies, or provide a
minimal package that can be used for boot media and minimal
installations.

--
Brian C. Lane (PST8PDT)