Re: F27 System Wide Change: No More Alphas

On Wed, 2017-02-22 at 17:30 +0100, Petr Lautrbach wrote:

> > Rawhide has been broken since the 15th, First due to nss, then rdma-
> > core, followed by policycoreutils and setools breakages.
>
> Could you please share more information about policycoreutils and
> setools breakages? I haven't noticed any problem or report and I think
> we've tested it. I'd like to prevent these problems in future.

'Breakage' is putting it slightly strongly: it's basically a dependency
issue. With the new version of setools, setools-python3 replaces
setools-libs , and grows a new dependency on python3-networkx .
python3-networkx hauls in a whole bunch of other stuff, including
python2, perl, texlive and ghostscript stuff.

This is problematic because it affects the installer environment. We
have this dep chain:

docker-anaconda-addon -> docker -> container-selinux ->
policycoreutils-python-utils -> policycoreutils-python3

pulling policycoreutils-python3 into the installer environment, which
means that now, python3-networkx and all its deps get pulled into the
installer environment too.

Because the entire installer environment is loaded into RAM during
install, we try quite hard to keep the installer environment *small*.
Obviously adding 100+ packages of perl/python2/tex cruft to this is a
problem in itself, but there's a further problem. lorax removes various
 packages and even individual files from the install root after
creating it:

https://github.com/rhinstaller/lorax/blob/master/share/templates.d/99-generic/runtime-cleanup.tmpl

but it then runs a few checks on the install root that was ultimately
produced after all the package installation and removal:

https://github.com/rhinstaller/lorax/blob/master/src/pylorax/treebuilder.py#L151

including a check that all the libraries that any still-installed
binary links against are still present. This check now fails because
libtiff and avahi-libs are removed in 'runtime-cleanup', but several
binaries from the new dependency chain (from ghostscript, texlive and
libgeotiff , apparently) are linked against those libraries. You can
see this happening in the 20170220.n.1 compose, which was attempted
with the new setools:

https://kojipkgs.fedoraproject.org/compose/rawhide/Fedora-Rawhide-20170220.n.1/logs/x86_64/buildinstall-Everything.x86_64.log

So we either:

1. Leave the newly-bloated deps in the install root and stop stripping
libtiff and avahi-libs

2. Leave the problematic dependency chain in place but try to clean
around it in runtime-cleanup somehow

3. Break the problematic dependency chain somewhere

For now, releng untagged the new setools and policycoreutils from
Rawhide, so composes are running with the old versions (and thus
without the problematic dependency chain).

I thought someone from releng was going to file a bug on this, but
AFAICT they have not, so if they don't soon, I will.
--
Adam Williamson
Fedora QA Community Monkey