The glvnd + mesa update for F25

Hi All,

So a lot has been said about $subject and FESco has asked me
to send a mail to the devel list describing the what and why
of this change.

First the what: ever since AMD and NVIDIA started shipping
their own Linux drivers we have had multiple competing
implementations of libGL.so.1 (and friends) where the way
the linker works means that there can be only one.
This has made installing AMD or NVIDIA's drivers harder
then it has any rights to be and this has been hurting
out users, some of which want to use the vendor supplied
drivers. It often causes broken systems and makes
switching between drivers unnecessarily hard.

libglvnd is a solution for this it is a vendor neutral
implementation of libGL.so.1 which acts as a dispatcher
to one or more glvnd enabled libGL implementations
installed on the systems.

This also mostly explains the why of this change,
except for why also bring it to Fedora 25 and not
just to Fedora 26 and later?

The main reason for this is a non-technical reason,
we (as in the Fedora project) have quite vocally
publicly promised we would do so:
https://blogs.gnome.org/uraeus/2016/11/01/discrete-graphics-and-fedora-workstation-25/

And from a technical pov it is ready, despite all the noise
about this update for F25, 2 issues where found with it
in updates-testing and both of these issues have been fixed.

For most people it has been rock-solid and it has received
a lot of positive karma in bodhi as this is an update many
people would like to see for F25.

The rock-solidness is not really a surprise, this change has
been long long in the making and initially was supposed to
land for F25, so many necessary changes to lowlevel GL
users like the Xorg xserver and mutter (when running as
a wayland compositor) had already landed by F25 gold.

The biggest issue with the update was that it broke
Sway (specifically libwlc) and I handled that badly after
working on this for a long time I was in a rush and I
decided to push this update to F25 updates-testing anyways
which I should NOT have done. I should have first fixed the
Sway issue and I apologize for my bad handling of this.

Note in case it has not been clear, that the Sway issue has
been fixed now and I've send the libwlc fix for this upstream
where it has already been merged.

The other issue was that libglvnd broke some steam games,
this also has been resolved now, although I need to
respin libglvnd + mesa with a slightly better fix for this.

Regards,

Hans