Re: The glvnd + mesa update for F25

Hans de Goede wrote:
> First the what: ever since AMD and NVIDIA started shipping
> their own Linux drivers we have had multiple competing
> implementations of libGL.so.1 (and friends) where the way
> the linker works means that there can be only one.
> This has made installing AMD or NVIDIA's drivers harder
> then it has any rights to be and this has been hurting
> out users, some of which want to use the vendor supplied
> drivers. It often causes broken systems and makes
> switching between drivers unnecessarily hard.

Whoever wants to use proprietary blobs that do not make use of the driver
infrastructure in the distribution is on their own. All the drivers we ship
in Fedora use the Mesa libGL, so there is no need for any "dispatcher".

If only the time wasted on making this work had been spent on making Nouveau
better instead…

> libglvnd is a solution for this it is a vendor neutral
> implementation of libGL.so.1 which acts as a dispatcher
> to one or more glvnd enabled libGL implementations
> installed on the systems.

By doing so, it decreases performance for all the users of the Mesa drivers
by adding an unnecessary layer of indirection. I do not see performance
being addressed at all in any of your communication, did you even try to
measure the impact of the added indirection layer?

> The main reason for this is a non-technical reason,
> we (as in the Fedora project) have quite vocally
> publicly promised we would do so:
> https://blogs.gnome.org/uraeus/2016/11/01/discrete-graphics-and-fedora-workstation-25/

Then you will just have to admit you lied. This type of change cannot be
pushed as an update per the policies.

> And from a technical pov it is ready, despite all the noise
> about this update for F25, 2 issues where found with it
> in updates-testing and both of these issues have been fixed.

Other issues may yet be to be found.

        Kevin Kofler