Re: The glvnd + mesa update for F25

Hi all,

On 02/05/2017 09:10 AM, Hans de Goede wrote:

> This also mostly explains the why of this change,
> except for why also bring it to Fedora 25 and not
> just to Fedora 26 and later?
>
> The main reason for this is a non-technical reason,
> we (as in the Fedora project) have quite vocally
> publicly promised we would do so:
> https://blogs.gnome.org/uraeus/2016/11/01/discrete-graphics-and-fedora-workstation-25/

This is *not* a reason for me to push! This just means announcements
came too early (also I don't consider that blog post an announcement, an
announcement would be something from Fedora, e.g. in release notes). I
searched the wiki and found
https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Changes/Vendor_Neutral_libGL

So my questions:
* Why is that change still marked as incomplete and even more important:
* Why is it not proposed for F26 (now the deadline is over, but IMHO it
should get in)?

> And from a technical pov it is ready, despite all the noise
> about this update for F25, 2 issues where found with it
> in updates-testing and both of these issues have been fixed.
Thank you very much for investigating and fixing! Although I'm still not
a fan of pushing to F25, the fixes are *very* important for F26!

> The biggest issue with the update was that it broke
> Sway (specifically libwlc) and I handled that badly after
> working on this for a long time I was in a rush and I
> decided to push this update to F25 updates-testing anyways
> which I should NOT have done. I should have first fixed the
> Sway issue and I apologize for my bad handling of this.
>
> Note in case it has not been clear, that the Sway issue has
> been fixed now and I've send the libwlc fix for this upstream
> where it has already been merged.
Again, thank you very much :)

In general I'm still against pushing (although I gave +1 for the sway
fix) because I think:
* It violates our guidelines for updates as it breaks things which have
to be fixed in the applications themselves (which proofs that it is an
incompatible update)
* I'm still sceptical that it will not break anything @users.

So my suggestion:
* Propose as F26 system wide change, it should be ignored that the
deadline is already over as the change is implemented and mostly tested
* Don't push @F25

Greetings,
Christian