Re: Diagreement with pkgconfig removal

Hi Neal!

On Saturday, January 14, 2017 9:51:39 AM CET Neal Gompa wrote:
> > I hope no.  Can you be precise here?  I'm all for protecting Fedora's
> > interests.;
>
> I strongly believe in Fedora's Foundations[0], which include a commitment to
> "excellence" and "innovation".

I hope it all is about excellence and innovation; and not about personal
preference.  Personally, I just would let the projects themselves prove
which of them performs better (for example, I am glad I can help Fedora
with maintenance of 3 'tar' implementations now).  I think Gentoo for
example has both implementations.

> And being afraid of switching to a different and fully compatible
> implementation of pkg-config just because it's not the implementation
> we've used for over a decade is contrary to those values.

I'm not really afraid of something now, just trying to be fair.

FWIW, why it is _not a fork_, but rather complete rewrite?  Yes, rewriting
software is fun, and WRT BSD I see a "licence issue" to be the reason for
rewrites.

> Because pkgconf supports the full specification, including Provides
> rules. pkgconfig does not. It's been *years* and they never added
> support for it.

That sounds like valid argument, just to be sure .. have authors of
pkgconf tried to submit patches against pkgconfig first?

> pkgconf also does unit testing and continuous integration testing.  I
> run the unit tests on every package build, and upstream does continuous
> integration on various systems offering or using pkgconf.

Cool.  Let's provide 'pkgconf' so we can be also three, too!  But at the
same time please consider not dropping 'pkgconfig' for no reason.

> > They are not at least for me, I'll have to install that manually from koji
> > build.  But how this really matters?  We are replacing package which is in
> > Fedora for more than decade with package which is in RPM ~14 days.
>
> We've done things like this before, and we'll likely do it again. This
> is not a valid argument.

OK.  Enjoy your weekend, Neal.
Pavel