Re: Diagreement with pkgconfig removal

Hi,

On Sat, Jan 14, 2017 at 9:30 AM, Adam Williamson
<adamwill@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Sat, 2017-01-14 at 09:51 -0500, Neal Gompa wrote:
>> And being afraid of
>> switching to a different and fully compatible implementation of
>> pkg-config just because it's not the implementation we've used for
>> over a decade is contrary to those values.
>
> But...you just said yourself it's not "fully compatible":
>
> "Admittedly, it is less
> tolerant of badly written .pc files, but those should be fixed,
> anyway."
>
> To me, 'fully compatible' means 'we can switch tomorrow and nothing
> will stop building'. It doesn't mean 'compatible with the letter of the
> specification'.

In practice, this is the case already.  We (pkgconf upstream) do tests
across FreeBSD ports, Gentoo portage tree to ensure there are no
regressions in any of the released versions.

The reason why we say this is there's a lot of proprietary software
that uses pkg-config as part of it's build process, and the .pc files
that we have encountered from those guys are usually quite wrong.

As for how this relates to Fedora, it's not really my place to say --
but we are planning to do the same testing with Fedora as well.

William