Re: Two more concrete ideas for what a once-yearly+update schedule would look like

On Tue, Dec 20, 2016 at 2:32 AM, Dominik 'Rathann' Mierzejewski
<dominik@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Thursday, 08 December 2016 at 19:26, Dennis Gilmore wrote:
> [...]
>> I would like to see us stop pushing non security updates to updates from
>> updates-testing entirely and do it in monthly batches instead.  we would push
>> daily security fixes and updates-testing.  However this would make atomic host
>> 2 week releases much less useful, as there would be no updates except for once
>> a month.
>
> You gave just one disadvantage of this proposal and no advantages at
> all. Why do you think the above is a good idea? I, for one, do not like
> waiting a month to get bug fixes that are not security-related. We are
> not RHEL or Microsoft or Adobe. I'm convinced that having bug fixes
> available as soon as they're ready is valuable (even if you choose to
> wait before installing them). Also, as was pointed out elsewhere in this
> subthread, updates get tested only after they're released to stable very
> often, so it's also valuable to get the feedback earlier rather than in
> a month.

Having bug fixes available sooner also means having regressions. It's
inevitable. And that's why there's updates-testing repo, and why it's
not enabled by default on release.

Why is user opt in to updates-testing insufficient?

--
Chris Murphy