Re: Two more concrete ideas for what a once-yearly+update schedule would look like

On Thu, Dec 8, 2016 at 2:05 PM, Stephen John Smoogen <smooge@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>>> How is less PR (only one event per year) instead of two lead into
>>> "maximum PR" ?
>>
>> Two releases a year ends up barely being an "event", so it's hard to
>> drum up new enthusiasm. I think that adds up to less interest total
>> than we'd get for an annual release. I don't have data for it, but as
>> someone working to do the drumming I'm inclined to give some weight to
>> my own intuition.
>
> I am going to agree that 2 major releases a year won't be an event,
> but that is mainly because distros aren't really interesting to anyone
> anymore. Computer operating systems are the indoor plumbing of the
> late 20th and 21st century. We were really exciting in the 1880's when
> we first came out and everyone had to go see that someone had put a
> toilet in their house (and it didn't explode). You might even upgrade
> your toilet every year to the latest model as they were always fixing
> and adding some new feature. (Also because you were extremely wealthy
> and having the newest model was expected) But by the 1910's it was
> pretty much a done deal. You can move around the parts some amount but
> people knew what their kind of toilet was and wouldn't want one that
> looked or was different. No one updated it yearly just because the
> 1917 crapper had a pivot handle and last year was just a chain.
> Instead you liked your chain and you would keep it even if no one made
> them anymore.
>
> We are going to have to come to terms that our day in exciting the
> masses to switch is well past us. It doesn't mean we can't and
> shouldn't work on marketing ourselves.. just that we should be aware
> that doing multiple events a year aren't going to be big wins in
> growth.
>
> [This post was made possible by a grant from the odd searches one does
> when your plumbing is broken.]

Stable plumbing definitely has value, builds loyalty and grows the
market. There are distros that specialize in stable. But they're
really boring development wise. How to build something bleeding edge
while also stable enough to avoid hemorrhage, and I think that's
actually being done in Fedora. But we are also taking fewer risks. If
atomic host helps us be more aggressive by actually expecting some
people will have to do rollbacks, and those rollbacks are essentially
bulletproof, that's quite a sweet spot.

--
Chris Murphy