Re: Two more concrete ideas for what a once-yearly+update schedule would look like

On Thu, Dec 08, 2016 at 09:20:50PM +0100, drago01 wrote:
> >> Which problem are you trying to solve with those proposals?
> > From my *other* other mail:
> >   * predictable calendar dates, to help with long-term planning
> Longer cycles are not necessarily mean no slips.

I wasn't referring to slipping, but rather what happens when we
schedule by starting at the whenever a release ships and add 6-8 months
to that.

> >   * not being on a hamster wheel which routinely bursts into flame
> >   [...]
> >     mechanism to users (GNOME, GCC, glibc, have spoken up before, but not
> >     limited to just those)
> How so? By having less frequent releases we'd be skipping more of them.

Well, that's where the .1 release idea here came from, rather than just
going to purely once-a-year-.

> >   * maximum PR and user growth
> How is less PR (only one event per year) instead of two lead into
> "maximum PR" ?

Two releases a year ends up barely being an "event", so it's hard to
drum up new enthusiasm. I think that adds up to less interest total
than we'd get for an annual release. I don't have data for it, but as
someone working to do the drumming I'm inclined to give some weight to
my own intuition.

> > nine-month cycles. That's not necessarily terrible, except a) it's not
> > well-aligned with upstreams and b) it makes longer-term planning
> > difficult because release times are unpredictable year-to-year.
>
> Longer term planning of what exactly? And by whom? Are you talking
> about fedora's planning or the users?

Three things. First, Fedora's overall strategic planning. Second,
developers planning when and how to land features — especially ones
which will take more than one release. And yeah, finally, users, who
definitely want a predicatable lifetime and upgrade pattern.

> > The alternative we just tried was: if one cycle goes over six months,
> > still target the next one as if it it _hadn't_ - that is, a shorter
> > "make up" cycle. In this case, we came out with a great release (again,
> > awesome work everyone), but we didn't have much breathing room (and
> > ended slipping into the holidays again,
> There is no evidence that we slipped into the holidays because of the
> shorter cycle (it happens all the time, hence even you wrote "again"
> ;) )

But if we had a longer cycle, we could plan breathing room around not
doing that. Particularly, October-November-December-January is a
minefield while May-June is not so much.

--
Matthew Miller
<mattdm@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>