Re: octave 4.2 update in rawhide

On 12/06/2016 10:51 PM, Orion Poplawski wrote:
> The hdf5 update prompted me to (perhaps too hastily) update octave to 4.2 in
> rawhide as well.  This unfortunately has led to the need to rework the octave
> package build/install macros.  I have what I hope is a fix building now
> (octave-4.2.0-2).  I've tested it with a simple octave package on x86_64 - it
> might fail with more complex ones and/or on different arches.  I'll be doing
> rebuilds in the morning.
>
> More to come later, but I need to go to bed now.

I hope I've *finally* got the magic right now with 4.2.0-8 (eighth time is the
charm) after running up against a still not yet understood issue with gzip
handling on non-x86 arches.  It's building now and will try again when it
completes.

Current octave packages should build fine as is.  However, behind the scenes
%octave_pkg_build now re-tars the unpacked build directory as octave's pkg
build command now requires a tarball, and then unpacks into the octave pkg
build directory for debuginfo generation.  However, if you have a simple
package that doesn't need to modify
the source at all and currently does:

%prep
%setup -q -n %{octpkg}-%{version}

%build
%octave_pkg_build

Instead you can do:

%prep
%setup -qcT

%build
%octave_pkg_build -T

and this avoids the initial unpack by %setup and repack by %octave_pkg_build

On the down side, it appears that swig does not support API changes with
octave 4.2.  I've filed https://github.com/swig/swig/issues/847 to get that
ball rolling.  Help welcome from swig/octave people.  But at the moment a
number of packages are FTBFS due to this, including mathgl and COPASI.

--
Orion Poplawski
3380 Mitchell Lane                       orion@xxxxxxxx