Re: Quality control, does it exist? A recent update removed a keyboard layout from system.

On Mon, Dec 05, 2016 at 07:03:49PM +0200, Iiro Laiho wrote:
> But isn't it quite exceptable that things can break when one version-
> updates upstream components like this? After all, they are just
> building blocks of operating systems, not finalized products in
> themselves. Isn't it the job of the distros to make sure that things do
> not surprisingly change, or does freedesktop.org actually promise some
> kind of stability on their components?

I agree — it's ideal to avoid these kind of things. However, there are
a *lot* of moving parts, and we just plain don't have coverage for
every use case. Quality control exists, and I think it's fair to say
that Fedora is at a high standard for any community distro, but it's
unrealisic to expect it to be perfect for every case. You can help,
though! Make sure the updates-testing repo is enabled, and help give
feedback in Bodhi when updates which affect you come through.

And more — in the very near future, we will have Taskotron open for
contributor-submitted tests. That's how we're going to build up
automated coverage so we don't need to rely so much on humans being on
their toes at all times. Contributing tests for things you really care
about will help us improve.

--
Matthew Miller
<mattdm@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>