Re: Quality control, does it exist? A recent update removed a keyboard layout from system.

On Dom, 2016-12-04 at 20:57 +0000, Iiro Laiho wrote:
> The update FEDORA-2016-8dfffb0d43 to package xkeyboard-config removed
> the Finnish (DAS) keyboard layout from the base.xml file. It causes
> the keyboard layout in question suddenly disappearing from the system
> without a trace when the unsuspecting user installs updates.
>
> Is it really too much asked if developers would do diffs to files
> they are changing when they do updates to critical components? It is
> a very bad idea to simply update versions in already released distros
> without paying a single thought to the regression potential.
>
> The bug report of this issue is #1401327.

After waste sometime on understand what happened to Finnish keyboards
layout, I don't think you can blame Fedora project, looking at upstream
sources and releases [1] from xkeyboard-config-2.18 to
xkeyboard-config-2.19, we got one commit with "rules: Move Finnish DAS
layout to extras", I understand you are angry (you lose keyboard
layout) but also saw that layout just was added in 2015-09-29 [3] (
xkeyboard-config-2.16 )
You have some options , it might be interesting have extras layouts in
Fedora , but I thin you should comment on upstream bugzilla with autor
of the commits , the autor first add layout to xkeyboard-config and one
year later move it to extras maybe he knows set keyboard with DAS
layout in other way, for example also Indian layout has moved to extras
 [4] says "For Indian languages, the input methods supplied by ibus-
m17n  appear to be more useful" have you tried dnf install ibus-m17n ?
and run ibus-setup ?

[1]
https://cgit.freedesktop.org/xkeyboard-config/log/
[2]