Re: Quality control, does it exist? A recent update removed a keyboard layout from system.

On Mon, Dec 05, 2016 at 02:54:08AM +0000, Sérgio Basto wrote:
> On Dom, 2016-12-04 at 20:57 +0000, Iiro Laiho wrote:
> > The update FEDORA-2016-8dfffb0d43 to package xkeyboard-config removed
> > the Finnish (DAS) keyboard layout from the base.xml file. It causes
> > the keyboard layout in question suddenly disappearing from the system
> > without a trace when the unsuspecting user installs updates.
> >
> > Is it really too much asked if developers would do diffs to files
> > they are changing when they do updates to critical components? It is
> > a very bad idea to simply update versions in already released distros
> > without paying a single thought to the regression potential.
> >
> > The bug report of this issue is #1401327.
>
> After waste sometime on understand what happened to Finnish keyboards
> layout, I don't think you can blame Fedora project, looking at upstream
> sources and releases [1] from xkeyboard-config-2.18 to
> xkeyboard-config-2.19, we got one commit with "rules: Move Finnish DAS
> layout to extras", I understand you are angry (you lose keyboard
> layout) but also saw that layout just was added in 2015-09-29 [3] (
> xkeyboard-config-2.16 )
> You have some options , it might be interesting have extras layouts in
> Fedora , but I thin you should comment on upstream bugzilla with autor
> of the commits , the autor first add layout to xkeyboard-config and one
> year later move it to extras maybe he knows set keyboard with DAS
> layout in other way, for example also Indian layout has moved to extras
>  [4] says "For Indian languages, the input methods supplied by ibus-
> m17n  appear to be more useful" have you tried dnf install ibus-m17n ?
> and run ibus-setup ?

it's a more convoluted problem. xkeyboard-config still ships the layout and
a call to setxkbmap for example still works. So would xorg.conf
configuration, because neither of those actually use the xml files. But it
looks like there's a bug in GNOME somewhere even when the layout is
preconfigured in gsettings it doesn't get applied anymore once moved to
extras. I haven't had time to trace that down, meanwhile that commit has
been reverted in F25.

fwiw, the indian language is a different issue, because those layouts are
apparently useless without ibus. the finnish one one (afaict) doesn't need
ibus to work so moving it to extras was done for different reasons.

Cheers,
   Peter