Re: clarification of package naming guidelines

Thanks for the comments.

"Gerald B. Cox" <gbcox@xxxxxx> writes:

> On Thu, Dec 1, 2016 at 8:39 AM, Mattia Verga <mattia.verga@xxxxxxxxxx>
> wrote:
>

>> So, in my opinion, you did it right naming your package "superlu_dist".
>> For sure, you MUST not use uppercase letters.
>

> I believe there is a bit of leeway for the packager here.  You SHOULD not
> use uppercase; it isn't an edict - it's a guideline.

Yes, but I think the guidelines need modifying because people don't
agree about them, and they're not helping consistency.  Perhaps they
could just use some re-wording.

> That said,
> I agree that lowercase is far preferable.  We all know what a PITA it is to
> try to figure out package names in the repository.  That is why
> the guidelines state you SHOULD use lowercase and hyphens instead of
> underscores.  Turning the attention to the underscore, I would in this
> instance change it to a hyphen:  so the package would be named
> "superlu-dist".  Why, because that is what most people are going to use and
> what how the vast majority of packages are named.

Why are most people going to use superlu-dist when that's not the proper
name of the software?  I'm not familiar with a SuperLU user community,
but I think I can speak about DL_POLY as a DL veteran; I packaged it as
"dl_poly" and wouldn't expect people to call it "dl-poly" (outside
Debian) or "dlpoly".  The majority don't have underscores as part of
their proper name, but the guidelines cover ones that do.