Re: When to make packeges "dnf protected"

On Sat, Dec 3, 2016 at 7:34 PM, Neal Gompa <ngompa13@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Sat, Dec 3, 2016 at 1:10 PM, Rolf Fokkens <rolf@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> Hi all,

Hi,

>> As the maintainer of bcache-tools I ran into the situation that a collegue
>> accidentally removed bcache-tools, resulting in a system that failed to boot
>> after installing and using a new kernel. dnf logs showed that the package
>> had been erased, with a bunch of other packages. It happened 3 weeks ago,
>> and the colleague did not recall what he actually did at that time.
>>
>> I'm considering to make bcache-tools protected (by including a config file
>> in the package in /etc/dnf/protected.d/) to prevent accidental erasure of
>> the package. Is this the proper way to prevent this situation?

Yes. Remember, in DNF-1.0 you need protected_packages plugin from
dnf-plugins-core, in DNF-2.0 it's core functionality [1].

> I would recommend making this a separate subpackage, and having that
> package recommended by the main one. It ultimately needs to be
> possible to be able to remove it, so making the specific file
> removable via a subpackage is the way to go for that.

This could be a solution too.
Note: you can still remove protected packages when you really want to
by `rpm -e` or `dnf remove --setopt=protected_packages='' ...`.

Honza

[1] http://dnf.readthedocs.io/en/latest/conf_ref.html?highlight=protected_packages#main-options