Re: Upgrade path violations in F25

On Sex, 2016-11-25 at 20:32 -0800, Adam Williamson wrote:
> On Sat, 2016-11-26 at 02:24 +0000, Sérgio Basto wrote:
> >
> > Every release we got always tones of updates in day 0, on upgrades
> > and
> > non-live versions everyone will update the computer , if we use
> > netinstall iso already include updates, only live versions could
> > have
> > breaks , but shouldn't be a better live version with the 500
> > packages
> > updated ?
> If we were going to do this, there would be no point having a freeze
> in
> the first place. It'd be absurd to have a freeze, then cut release
> images that ignored it.
>
> The reason for the freeze is to ensure that *the install / deployment
> processes themselves* are known quantities. Even if you do a network
> install, the code in the installer environment itself is the release-
> frozen code. It deploys updated packages, but the installer itself
> does not *use* them.

I'm not suggest cut release and ignore freeze, I'm suggest a second
freeze to add last minutes updates and make a second freeze but in much
less time, the goal is have a shorter freeze time or a second stable
release, as we saw last 3 or 4 weeks of updates that was send to stable
aren't in release. The idea of a post release is just add one more step
of stability.

--
Sérgio M. B.