Re: Fedora on Macs, removing the release criterion

On 2016-11-17 07:43 AM, Stephen John Smoogen wrote:
2. The Fedora QA group has 1 mac mini which is very old and is only
used for total install and not dual boot. It would not have found this
issue. The Fedora QA group also has no one using Mac hardware day to
day.

This bit isn't quite true. We found the bug *on* that Mac Mini. I'm worried it's not likely to find *other* bugs that people are likely to encounter on the systems they actually want to run Fedora on (newer laptops), but it did find this one.

The problem is that we didn't get around to running the test until the day before the go/no-go. There's a lot of stuff to test, and anything which only one person is likely to test is a risk. Frankly speaking, given how humans work, things that involve digging some piece of hardware you never touch out of a pile and hooking it up to a keyboard and mouse and a monitor and power and network is quite likely to get passed over in favour of something you can run in a VM. Especially if it's 4:30. This is why I have an Unused Arm Devices Pile Of Shame on my desk...

So, partly this is our fault because we could've tested this earlier and didn't. But it's also the case that we really need more redundancy in as much of the required testing as possible.
--
Adam Williamson
Fedora QA Community Monkey