Re: Fedora on Macs, removing the release criterion

On Fri, Nov 11, 2016 at 07:55:06AM -0500, Josh Boyer wrote:
> On Fri, Nov 11, 2016 at 7:43 AM, Michael Catanzaro <mcatanzaro@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > My $0.02 is that none of the reasons we requested the blocker criterion
> > have changed. Dual boot with macOS is very important to attracting new
> > users -- we're explicitly targeting macOS users, that's the user group
> > where we think we have real potential for significant growth -- and I
> > continue to prefer we block the release indefinitely if it's not
> > working. We can't afford for our next Ars review to say "the installer
> > is broken, try again next year."
>
> Then we, as a project, need to back that up with sufficient hardware
> and test resources.  Otherwise it is nothing more than a wish and will
> continue to lead to problems like this.

Adam W pinpointed an issue with "burner" Macs.  I have a MBP myself
that I treat as an appliance.  I use it for Pro Tools and my non-FOSS
related creative pursuits.  I'm well aware of Apple's tactics when it
comes to tight integration and OS/HW integrity.  I don't mess with it
at a low level, and don't test bare-metal installation on it (although
I do test the live OS from USB).

Also Michael pointed out something about a certain big company ;-)
needing to provide hardware for the QA team.  To the best of my
knowledge, that company doesn't have a stake in putting products on
e.g. Mac laptops.  This is a community project, so let's see how we
can handle this as a community, starting with the Workstation WG (as
opposed to QA).

That being said, I arranged to get an additional drive with some small
$$ available from said company.  I can use it to help with testing,
since I happen to have hardware.  My hope is other Workstation WG
members will join me.  Else we *do* look at removing criteria, not
just throw them over the wall and expect QA to deal with it.